A simple list of instructions to follow after toenail surgery by your podiatrist at Power Podiatry.
POST-OPERATIVE INSTRUCTIONS FOR NAIL SURGERY
- Remove dressing in 24 hours (or as directed) and shower as you would normally. Soak your foot daily in warm water and Epsom salts (1-2 TBSP in 1 litre) for up to 10 min, gently clean the toe around the surgical site.
- Apply Betadine liquid (Povidone iodine) twice a day after showering and apply a flexible fabric Band-Aid.
- Excess bleeding is not unusual in nail surgery. If this occurs apply extra pressure and elevate your foot as high as possible. If the bleeding continues call the practice.
- Take the pain medication or oral antibiotics as directed (if prescribed).
- Your return appointment should be made for the next week or sooner.
POST-OPERATIVE INSTRUCTIONS AFTER FIRST WEEK
- Bath your foot at least once daily. This includes a shower, bath, soaks, etc. Running water from the bathtub tap to fall on the toe is an excellent way to cleanse the area.
- You may gently clean the surgical site with a wash cloth, soap and water when bathing or showering.
- Gently massage the cuticle area of the toe to promote drainage of the surgical site. This will allow the surgical area to clear away excess fluid and promote healing.
- Apply a Band-Aid or island dressing strip during the day when wearing shoes. Leave it uncovered when bare foot or in open toed shoes around the house, at night or sleeping.
- As the area continues to dry up, you may leave it open and uncovered to promote healing.
- As always, feel free to call with any questions or concerns.